Muscat – The Ministry of Heritage and Tourism has completed the reconstruction of Seeb Castle, rebuilding the landmark from scratch after the original structure was demolished years ago. The project restores one of the wilayat’s most recognised historical sites and reflects the ministry’s approach to reviving architectural heritage while supporting tourism development. Speaking to Muscat […]
Muscat – The Ministry of Heritage and Tourism has completed the reconstruction of Seeb Castle, rebuilding the landmark from scratch after the original structure was demolished years ago.
The project restores one of the wilayat’s most recognised historical sites and reflects the ministry’s approach to reviving architectural heritage while supporting tourism development.
Speaking to Muscat Daily, Maryam bint Saeed Ahmed al Risi, researcher in historical studies at the ministry, said the initiative marks a significant step in preserving the historical memory of wilayat of Seeb and reinstating one of its prominent landmarks.
She noted that the original castle had long been associated with key events in the wilayat’s history and held a special place in the community. Its reconstruction, she said, was aimed at restoring both the physical structure and its cultural significance.
The works, carried out from September 11, 2023 to October 15, 2025, involved rebuilding the castle in line with its traditional architectural character. The earlier structure no longer existed, requiring a comprehensive reconstruction rather than restoration.
Traditional materials were used, including mud bricks, mortar and plaster, along with stones sourced from mountains and wadis. Flat stones were also incorporated. Palm trunks and mangrove wood were utilised for roofing, while doors and windows were crafted from meranti and teak in keeping with Omani architectural style.
Maryam said the project was not merely construction but a cultural effort to revive local heritage. She added that the ministry continues to rehabilitate forts, castles, towers and ancient harats, transforming them into educational and tourism destinations.
According to the ministry, once opened, the rebuilt castle is expected to strengthen cultural identity, support community engagement and contribute to economic activity. The site is also projected to encourage local investment and create employment opportunities, aligning with broader goals of economic diversification and sustainable cultural tourism.
Residents who remember the original structure have welcomed the development. Zaki al Muharrami previously told Muscat Daily that he was pleased to see the castle rebuilt.
“I have beautiful memories of time spent in it that will never be forgotten,” he said, recalling a photograph he took of the castle in the 1970s that remains displayed in his home.
With its reconstruction complete, Seeb Castle is set to re-emerge as a heritage landmark, reconnecting the wilayat with a chapter of its past that had physically disappeared but remained present in public memory.

‘Rush to break fast puts lives at risk’
MoL issues Ramadan workplace safety guidelines
Faith and fitness: Working out in Ramadan
Rural women to benefit from new development initiative
OCCI to host three Ramadan evening forums
Botanic Garden invites bids for cafés, retail outlets